FREE activities for the whole family in the Oneida Square arts and business district!
Times and locations will be filled in as our planning comes together!
RUST 2 GREEN'S FLOWER POWER PLAZA
- in Dunkin Donuts Parking Lot
Community Flower Construction
Compassion Coalition Snack Shack
R2G Information Booth
R2G Green Tapestry Park
• Live art mural and artists working throughout the neighborhood
• Sidewalk chalk contest
• Artisans Marketplace in Kopernik Park featuring some of your favorite local artists
• A very cool vegetable flower live sculpture on MWPAI's yard that we'll be getting drone footage of, compliments of Ryan Miller of the thINCubator
• An art display by students at Albany School in Utica, The Kelberman Center, The House of the Good Shepherd and Utica Children's Museum
• UCP's Pieces of the Heart Art Program show, 2nd floor at the Utica Public Library
• Other art throughout the area!
SIDEWALK CHALK ARTISTS
Rotary Club of Sauquoit
MUSIC - at the Band Shell by Palermo Pizza
• Amos Donnell - 11am
• Zz - 12pm
• Jerry Dee and the Dovetones, 1pm and 2pm
• Live remote by Anthony "Zee" Donaldson of the Disruption Networks
• FREE walk-in Hip Hop dance classes at Utica Dance:
- 6-11 years old, 11am
- Ages 12+, 11:45am
• Dance demos at Utica Dance
• Dance performances and surprises from Dance with Utica
• Dance by Karen hip hop group TOXIK and dancers from the Midtown Utica Community Center
• Ritmo Carribeno dancers at 11:45am at the Band Shell at Palermo Pizza
JUST FOR KIDS
• Flower pot painting
• Fruit and veggie stamp art
• 11am – Animals from the Utica Zoo at the Utica Public Library
• 11am – Bubble Painting - STEAMworks Ability Lab at 500 Plant Street
• 12pm – Pendulum Painting - STEAMworks Ability Lab at 500 Plant Street
• 11am - 3pm – Face Painting at Players of Utica
ONE WORLD HUMAN FLOWER PROJECT
Take part in a cool collaborative flower project where YOU become the flower!
Meet at MWPAI in front of Fountain Elms at 12:45pm for instructions. Drone footage will be captured of this unique project.
• FREE Mother's Day Photo Booth in Kopernik Park from 12-2pm
• Salon One will help you get ready for your photos!
• Steamworks Ability Lab maker space in Cornerstone Church
• Oneida Square Public Art & Design
• Players of Utica, 1018 State Street – Improv Classes on the 1/2 hour, face painting and more
• With Dented Bumper Yoga at 10am before the festival starts, in front of MWPAI
11am-3pm by Fountain Elms
Boilermaker Urban Garden - Seed starting station
Utica Greens Garden Coalition- Container Garden Demo
Unity South Urban Garden- Handing out seedlings
Homeownership Center- See bomb-making station
Oneida County Solid Waste Authority- Composting and Recycling examples/info
Mohawk Valley Community Action Network- Make a Sun Catcher
Citizen Action Network
11am - 3pm at Kopernik Park
4 Elements Studio
ACRE Handmade Crochet Accessories
BB Designs/Utica Love
Works by Jim Dieffenbacher
Fiery Hill Labyrinth Center LLC
Perfect Love 444
Piacentino Farms / Yuna’s Cookies
• A history talk of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument - 11:45am
• A flower-based tour of Fountain Elms - meet at the front at 1pm
• Jane Jacobs walks to explore Oneida Square and learn about history, architecture and more! Meet at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument - tours at 2pm and 2:15pm
• Coming soon!
JUST BEYOND THE SQUARE:
A Pop Up Art Show at Tiny's Grill on State Street, starting at 3:00pm
At The Tramontane Cafe (1105 Lincoln Avenue)
Floral Themed Coffee Sleeve Art, 12-3pm
Roses are Red Violets are Blue Poetry Afternoon, 3-6pm
The Kaleidoscope Garden Drag Show, 6-9pm
Character Coffee in Downtown
171 Genesee Street • open 10am-3pm
$1 from every Honey Lavender Latte purchased on May 12 will benefit One World Flower Festival!
Players of Utica (1018 State Street)
From 11am - 3pm:
Improvisation Classes on the ½ half hour
Kid’s Mask Coloring/Decorating
Theater Tours/Open House Refreshments
Tiffany Lamp Raffle
Showcase of Upcoming Musical 110 in the Shade
Look for food specials at all the restaurants in the square: Palermo's Pizzeria, Mi Casa, and Joel's Spanish Food. Take a walk to Swifty's, Tiny's, Ancora or the Tramontane Cafe.
The 4th Annual Rust to Green One World Flower Fest (OWFF) District will once again bring people, creativity, beauty, character and positive energy to Oneida Square on May 12, 2018, 11am-3pm – Mother’s Day weekend. The event is made possible by a consortium of local businesses, organizations and neighbors working together.
This year, Utica Love is coordinating the festival and hoping to grow its success by engaging the ideas and contributions of an ever-enlarging set of spirited people and groups from throughout the neighborhood and city. At its core, the One World Flower Festival is a creative placemaking event celebrating flowers, mothers, Mother’s Day and the ‘One World’ diversity of Utica arts, culture and community. As a welcoming and celebratory outdoor event, free to all, the festival is contributing to Oneida Square’s revitalization by attracting more activity, users, and investment to this vital center of downtown neighborhood life, arts and culture. Above all, by bringing beauty, creativity, music and performances – love– to Oneida Square, the OWFF is playing its part in making the Square a more vibrant and attractive place to shop, meet friends and call home.
Bank of Utica
Hage & Hage Law and Consulting
Broadway Theater League
Oneida Square Market, Inc.
Steamworks Ability Lab
Tailor & the Cook
Sparagna Serve-All Co.
Daniele’s at Valley View
Swifty’s Restaurant & Pub
Puff ‘N Stuff
Big Blue North
Gigliotti's Driving School
The Tramontane Cafe
Chalk Art Prize Sponsors
2018 One World Flower Fest Committee
Flower Fest Committee Hard at Work!
Committee meeting at thINCubator, April 2, 2018
2018 Planning Committee:
Chair: Angela Johnson, BB Designs and Utica Love
Anthony "Zee" Donaldson
Rebecca Spataro Kearns
Gabriella "Gia" Marchesani
The Kelberman Center
The House of the Good Shepherd
Midtown Utica Community Center
The Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees
City of Utica
Dance with Utica
Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute
Albany Elementary School
Cornerstone Community Church
Dented Bumper Yoga
Utica Children's Museum/Kids Oneida
Meet Jerry Dischiavo - One World Flower Fest committee member, and owner of Vintage Furnishings, (337 Genesee Street). The store, "a finely curated antique and furniture store" since 1981, is a trip through at least a century of Americana, while specializing in 1940s mahogany bedroom and dining room sets.
Jerry is an Oneida Square business person, squared (OSqB2) because his store opens on both Genesee Street and Park Avenue. He is a veritable fountain of history about Utica. (Photo & article by Joseph P. Caruso)
Monument @ Oneida Square
Plant Street (first block closed)
Palermo's park (mural painting, etc.)
Eagle St. N / S (block closed)
DeSales Center lot / sidewalk
Utica Public Library front / back
Unity Garden South and Gazebo
D&O Print Solutions, 287 Genesee Street
Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute and Fountain Elms
Here's a look at 2015's One World Flower Fest from prep to finish.